Thursday, November 3, 2011

occupy berkeley

i grew up feeling like the 1 % in the San Fernando Valley.  the 1 % of the LA culture that wasn't into consumerism, most of my peers wanted to hang out at shopping malls,  i avoid shopping centers and when i enter into a supermarket i put on my sunglasses to shield my eyes from the flourescent light and race around frantically to grab every thing i need quickly or i wander around aimlessly for a while and leave with nothing having forgotten what i came in for. are we really the 99 %?  marching in oakland yesterday confirmed to me that at the moment we are still the 1 % or maybe even less than 1%, as a few thousand of us wandered around the city center i kept wondering how many people live in the bay area, how many millions?  trying to do the math in my head to figure out what percent of us were in those streets yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. yes...but we were THERE...and the Port shut-down made international news (for what that's worth). I think this is a BEGINNING, Anna...

    ReplyDelete