Wednesday, October 19, 2011

mississppi john hurt

I thought of the story of the palm trees and how they were planted in African Americans' yards in Oakland during the fifties.  Although I live in Albany, I wondered if a black family lived here amongst the Chinese Culture that prevails in this region.  I was also wondering what people from China might plant in their garden to remind them of their home land.  This drawing was done in my backyard as the sun was setting and the sky was constantly changing colors.  I made the palm tree much more prominent than it really is while fantasizing that it filled my entire backyard instead of the freeway and an apartment block.

1 comment:

  1. This combination of the personal and your world-observations is such a good stream, Anna...

    ReplyDelete